Monday, February 21, 2011

52-365 A sucker for flowers and Virginia Woolf

I am a well known sucker for flowers so you can imagine how nutsy I get in the Spring. I spotted these beauties on my bike ride yesterday morning. I think the first one is a Japanese Cherry tree but only because I know it's not a Pink Dogwood. If anyone has a clue, I'd be happy for the identification.

 One of the things I love about flowering trees is just their MASS. There is absolutely nothing subtle about a Dogwood, Cherry, Tabubia or any of the others in full bloom. Of course, they only put this show on once a year and the rest of the time we just have to wait.
 This lovely lady is a Red Camellia. I have white ones in my yard but as you can see, whoever planted these wanted it to be seen. It's a bold flower!
 And the gardener had massive waves of Azaleas as well. These seem to be leaving their peak but still. Lovely. And again, they only look like this once a year.
The afternoon was spent taking my in-laws to see a fantastic play -- Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf by Edward Albee. First, the production was superb! The performances were dead on, the set and lights we're outstanding by way of being not noticed at all.

For those of you who don't know, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is a comedy that is absolutely brutal and devastating. It involves a couple who've created a life of deep resentment, mutual- and self-loathing, and crushing disappointment who are engaged in a no prisoners/no mercy type of never-ending psychological warfare. One very late night, a young couple comes over for drinks and all hell breaks loose.

When it first came on the scene it was a shocking piece of theatre for it's approach to marriage, language, sexuality, and even children. And today while there might not be as much shock value at the language and what's appropriate to say on the stage, this show can still shock the hell out of an audience for it's raw power.

If you have an opportunity to see a good version of this play on the stage, I highly recommend it. Like an awesome live concert, there's nothing like the energy between the performer and the audience. Conversely, avoid a bad production at all costs. And if you're aren't into the theatre but want to see a very good version, rent the 1950s film by the same title. It stars Elizabeth Taylor, Richard, Burton, George Peppard, and Sandy Dennis.

Today, it's back to work!

2 comments:

  1. I love the photos and the sheer variety of flowers you have now. If I want to see fresh flowers, I need to go to the grocery store and grab some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flowers? Those are months away, unless you want to take my wife's approach and go to the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete